Friday 31 August 2012

Pamphlet: Ryo’s interview (full version) 祭~ボクらも8っちゃい、8っちゃけまつり~

     All About!!

   Nishikido Ryo

                                         

The bull in bullfights By Yasu
Likes to be spoiled By Tacchon
Picky eater-kun By Hina
Rambunctious By Yokocho
Big nose By Subaru
A puppy By Maru

 


Ohkura: Out of the younger team, made of Ryo-chan, me, Yasu, and Maru, you were the first one to go to Tokyo and work there too.
Nishikido: Right. I joined the jimusho at 14 and then got to be in a drama immediately, and then at 16 I got to release a CD as Secret Agent.
Ohkura; You were an elite Jr.
Nishikido: If we’re talking about work in Tokyo, there was PLAYZONE, the play, too, But you know, that’s around when my voice broke, and I don’t know if that’s why, but for about a year after that, I suddenly had no work. Even though I was elite (lol).
Ohkura: Oh really?
Nishikido: So back then, I asked Sho-chan for advice just once. “Maybe I’ll quit,” I said. I was watching M-sute alone at one time, and then V.WEST were on singing Believe in my story, I was like, “Why was I the only one who didn’t get called for that, *cries*” I thought I was maybe done for, so then I talked to Sho-chan.
Yasuda: I remember that happening~.
Ohkura: But at the time, Yokoyama-kun and Subaru-kun and stuff were in Tokyo already, right? Did you not go talk to them because they were sempai in terms of Kansai Jr.s and work in Tokyo?
Nishikido: That didn’t happen. I thought of them as sempai of course, and back then, Subaru-kun and all were really edgy (lol). But when I went to Tokyo, I’d visit Yokoyama-kun in his first apartment alone, and I went to Subaru-kun’s place too and stuff. I remember Subaru-kun making mentaiko spaghetti for me.
Ohkura: Such a nice sempai (lol).
Yasuda: And then after a while, you were with us for the first time in a while on J3KANSAI. And then we had ANOTHER. But at the time, Ryo, you didn’t talk to us at all in the dressing room and stuff. What was that abut? I was like, maybe he’s just feeling all cynical…
Nishikido: I was like, “I’ve worked all alone till now,” I was a bit conceited, and I felt more comfortable being alone when I was in Osaka. Now that I think of it, it might be because I was a bit edgy too. But back then, when I saw Sho-chan for the first time in ages, it felt really nostalgic and it made me happy too; I’d known Maru back from our auditions too, so I felt kind of relaxed too, because I felt like I didn’t have to force myself to talk with you guys or anything.
Yasuda: Remember we went to an uninhabited island for a show, with Yokocho and Subaru-kun and the others?
Nishikido: I do, I do. I had so much fun. It was around when Subaru-kun quit being so emo, wasn’t it?
Ohkura: Subaru-kun himself told us “I was edgy back then,” I guess he really was (lol).
Yasuda: So your image of the members back then; from Ryo-chan’s point of view, Yokoyama-kun and the others were totally sempai?
Nishikido: Mm. I spoke politely to them the entire time. But a while after our group was formed, we were like, “We’re in the same group, isn’t talking politely kind of weird?” and so I worked real hard to change that. But Yokoyama-kun’s really kind, you know. There was this one time when I was living in the dorms in Tokyo, I had a fever of 40ºC (104ºF) and couldn’t move; Yokoyama-kun sat beside me all night long, with a little basin of water he’d use to wet and cool the towel he’d keep on my forehead. I remember super well how I thought, “This person, he’s so kind~.” Though meanwhile, Murakami-kun was in the room next door playing games the entire time (lol).
Ohkura: That’s so Hina-chan (lol).
Yasuda: Has your impression of him or relationship with him changed since then?
Nishikido: No, in a good sense, he’s always been and still is one of my partners at work. I can go directly at him, I can throw my uninhibited feelings at him. That’s why I like him so much.
Yasuda: You used to fight with him so much too.
Nishikido: Now, I’m grown up already too, so I’m not like RAWR~! At him, but Yokoyama-kun’s the only one out of the members with whom I’ve actually fought like that. I can’t describe it properly, but don’t you think Yokoyama-kun and I basically think in opposite ways? For example, I wasn’t really excited about the Eito Rangers at first. I’d assumed that “the Eito Rangers are uncool.” So I went and threw it at Yokoyama-kun, “Do you mean to do this Eito Ranger thing for real?” And as we talked, I found out that Yokoyama-kun had the confidence that he’d be able to take the “uncool” and make it “cute” or “cool” even, he’d already thought way ahead of the “uncool.” Like, doing what’s uncool, is what’s cool. That’s when I thought, “Yokoyama-kun really understands what the fans want, more than any other member.”
Yasuda: I think it’s a good thing that because you two think so differently, it gives us, as a group, a wide perspective.
Nishikido: Of course I think we’ll continue to squabble for work if it’s necessary. And not just Yokoyama-kun; we’re a group, so of course we have different opinions. I’ll say mine too, and I think that’s my role in the group too.
Ohkura: Mm, when we have fights these days, it mostly starts out involving Ryo-chan (lol).
Nishikido: You’re right (lol). Also, if you give Yokoyama-kun and Murakami-kun a mic, they’re super funny. Sometimes I’m on variety shows with other people for drama promo and stuff, right? Even if I make a joke, nobody tsukkomis me, so it’s an issue for me (lol). I’m always amazed by those two. Especially Murakami-kun, when I meet other actors and comedians at work, they often say to me, “Murakami-kun’s real good at talking, isn’t he.” As a member, that makes me happy.
Okura: Eh~! But don’t you feel frustrated about it? Like you’ve lost against them?
Nishikido: Not at all. They make me proud.
Yasuda: At first Shin-chan must’ve totally seemed sempai, like Yokoyama-kun did, but what about now? Do you think he’s changed?
Nishikido: Murakami-kun’s always had this vision for the future, and he’s always worked hard towards that. He’s really well-planned, and he’s not changed at all.
Ohkura: Murakami-kun works solo now, taking charge of shows and stuff, what do you think of that part?
Nishikido: Impressed. Murakami-kun once told me, “I found myself just repeating what Subaru and Yokoyama said, and so I want to be able to bring it all together… I’m thinking about how to do that.” I think he has this TO DO list that he keeps, and he keeps on talking, but meanwhile, he keeps finishing off the things on his list, one by one.
Ohkura: Then what’s your impression of Subaru-kun?
Nishikido: He’s a moody one. I’m always wondering in my mind, “And so how’s today’s Subaru-kun~?” (lol) I pretend it doesn’t bother me, but it actually really does.
Ohkura: From my point of view, there seems to have been this period where you two were really awkward with each other…
Yasuda: I felt it too. Was there a reason that you two became like that?
Nishikido: Mm~, there might’ve been a time like that, but it’s not like there was a reason, and it’s not like that at all now.
Ohkura: What do you think of him as a vocalist?
Nishikido: He’s super good at singing.
Yasuda: Ryo, you’re a vocalist too. What do you think of him from that point of view?
Nishikido: To be honest, Yasu and Ohkura inclusive, I think that the other members are better at singing than I am, save for Yokoyama-kun and Murakami-kun (lol). And so actually, I’m the one who wants to ask. I wonder how my singing sounds to Subaru-kun?
Yasuda: I didn't think you felt that way. Then what about other than the singing, like, performance-wise?
Nishikido: I think Subaru-kun's the best at getting the audience lively.
Ohkura: You've always said that, Ryo-chan.
Nishikido: Subaru-kun himself really loves music, so I think he's gone to watch all kinds of other artists and stuff. When I saw Subaru-kun do shows with FIVE... he really was, just, so cool, I don't think I've ever said this to anyone before, but I once said to Johnny-san, "Please let him debut as a solo singer too."
Ohkura: Ryo-chan, you only started playing the guitar after our group was formed, but you learned really fast. Was there something inside you that motivated you?
Nishikido: I thought, "I want to be good like Subaru-kun," and I liked the guitar, and I liked music in the first place, so that's probably why.
Ohkura: Like, Subaru-kun was saying that since Ryo-chan and him are both vocalists, he thinks the two of you shouldn't be doing the same thing. Which is why he does Ai deshita without a guitar in his hands. But he also said that he thinks the opposite of that would work too.
Nishikido: Oh really? But I can’t do the mic-only thing, I have to have my guitar. I love playing it in itself because of how fun it is, and I think that playing the guitar, is like, my role in this band called Kanjani∞. Not sure if I’m describing this well enough, but…
Ohkura: What about us? I felt a bit of a distance when we were doing ANOTHER, but from there, around when was it that you started being yourself around us and we became friends?
Nishikido: When was it? I think it was from when we did Honjani. Right now we each have work alone, but back then, we always had to be with each other. We’d go bowling together all the time. So there wasn’t a clear reason or anything, I think it just happened naturally as we spent more time together…
Ohkura: What about Maru? You knew him from the auditions.
Nishikido: I was in the same high school as Maru too, for some reason he came to pick me up the day I started. Maru’s a year older, but I’ve always referred to Maru as “that guy” and “omae” (lol). [omae = casual/crude “you,” ie maru wasn’t treated as a sempai]
Ohkura: He’s just easy to tease, I guess. You two fight a lot too.
Nishikido: In Maru’s case, it’s more like me just getting pissed at him (lol). Once I made him cry when we fought over seats on the bus when we were moving between concert venues (lol).
Yasuda: I remember~. So useless (lol).
Nishikido: I think that out of the all the relationships I have with the members, my relationship with Maru’s changed the least. When I invite him out, he’ll come even if it’s random. And he’s good with people. Whomever I introduce him to, like my friends, or whomever, he’ll make them laugh, and he’s good at singing if we go karaoke too. I hang out with him about once every other month at least.
Yasuda: Maru’s been doing a lot of acting lately.
Nishikido: I want him to do more. More! He’s super serious about it. I can tell he’s working hard. I like Maru’s acting. I think that if you’re funny in real life, you’re good at acting too.
Ohkura: What do you think of Yasu then?
Nishikido: Yasu, he’s the one member who’s the same age as me, and I mentioned this already, but I’ve talked to him about wanting to quit, and he’s just basically really kind. I think he’s the least moody. Once when I was mentally not doing too well, none of the other members noticed, but Yasu was like, “You alright?” I thought, “This guy, he really moves based on what his heart feels.” Also, he’ll be really soothing when I’m all irritated and stuff too; it’s not a good thing, but it’s like I’m letting myself be spoiled by him. Though we did have one fight.
Yasuda: The one during KYO TO KYO, right?
Nishikido: Right. I was joking around with this spray thing that shot out little misty clouds of water; I kept doing it on Yasu, and he totally exploded on me (lol).
Yasuda: I remember~ (lol). What about Ohkura?
Nishikido: To be honest, when we first started working together, I took him lightly. I’m the type who’s really strict on the kouhai, you know? And I remember yelling at Ohkura when we were with Takitsuba in the Osaka-jou Hall, “Do it right!” I can’t remember why now, but…
Ohkura: Ah, I kind of remember.
Nishikido: But after that, as I watched Ohkura, I found out that you put in more effort than anyone else, and I’d think, “Hurry up and catch up with the members” about your drums, but you really did catch up right away. And then I was the first among the members to get drama roles now and then, and the next one up was Ohkura. Well, it’s kind of weird to say “the next one,” but I anyway, I was glad about it, I was like, “You can do it!”
Yasuda: Ryo-chan, you’ve got a really sharp mind, and Ohkura’s the type to think a lot too, so I guess you wanted to get him going already.
Nishikido: Mm. This isn’t a nice way to put it, but at first, it was kind of like out of the members, me and Uchi were leading everyone onwards, right? So when Uchi was gone and I was offered the role in 1 Liter no Namida after that, I thought “I’m going to work super hard on this, even if it kills me.” So I called Johnny-san and said, “I’m going to live in Tokyo and work on this super hard, even if it ends up killing me.” And I said this to Ohkura too. I guess I wanted to tell Ohkura how I felt about it… or more like, I guess I wanted him to feel the same way as I did.
Ohkura: Ryo-chan, what do you yourself think about “acting” as a type of work?
Nishikido: Before, I was both Kanjani∞ and NEWS, and it was only when I was acting that I was free of these group names, and so I used to think that was where my chance lay. Now, you know how there aren’t any other Johnny’s around you when you dramas? I now think about how I can show my worth in that kind of environment. So when I did Last Friends, I won first place in some magazine for “Actor for which your impression went bad,” and I was like, “YES!” Because that showed that people were seeing me as my role. Though my mom was really disappointed when she read it (lol). Also, in terms of acting, when I did Ryusei no Kizuna with Arashi’s Ninomiya-kun, I learned a lot. Ninomiya-kun has lots of variations for every one of his lines. And so when the director says, “Try it like this?” he immediately understands and says “Ah, that version,” and then when he actually does it, he even adds his own flavor to it, on top of the director’s request. I learned that being able to respond instantly and flexibly like that was important, and acting started getting even more interesting for me after that, I started to think more too.
Ohkura: I kind of get what you mean by responding like that~.
Yasuda: Then hey, is it kind of like you and Ohkura are rivals about acting?
Nishikido: Nope. But if we’re talking about rivalry, I did have some towards Uchi. When we started off in NEWS, I already thought, “For starters, I’ve got to be better than this guy.”
Ohkura: I imagine Uchi’s existence was really motivating in terms of work.
Yasuda: Ryo-chan was the closest to him out of the members at the time too. How did you find out about what happened to Uchi?
Nishikido: I was on a location shoot for the drama, Ganbatte Ikimasshoi, when the manager-san called and told me. I was with Uchi for Kanjani∞ and NEWS, and at the time, even the drama. But you know, I can’t remember why now, but a little bit before that, we’d gotten into a fight and we hadn’t been talking very much… And then that happened. So the moment I found out, I didn’t know whether to be pissed or what.
Yasuda: I did know that out of the members, Ryo was going through the most at the time.
Nishikido: You remember how after a while, Uchi came to apologize during a con rehearsal? I was like, “We were working so hard for our first drama, what were you thinking!” and I was of course worried about Uchi himself at the same time too. My feelings ended up exploding there… I actually beat him up. What he’d done, was something that had to be dealt with of course, but Uchi himself, he’s a good-hearted, fun, nice guy… I was just super frustrated overall.
Yasuda: But being angry is painful too, right? So I think it must’ve hurt, beating him up like that.
Ohkura: I said “Stop it!” and then you said “You wouldn’t understand!” and in my heart, I thought “That’s true, I don’t.”
Nishikido: I went to watch Uchi’s comeback play, PLAYZONE ’07 Change 2 Chance, and as I watched, I couldn’t stop my tears, and I ended up not being able to watch the whole thing. “Alright, do it!” I thought. And this is in hindsight, but because of what happened, we ended up saying “We seven members are going to work hard together,” right? So if it weren’t for that, the Kanjani∞ now wouldn’t have existed.
Yasuda: You’re right on there.
Nishikido: To be frank, anything about Uchi was like, in the gray area, it was like, a delicate subject, you know? We never talked about Uchi in interviews, and we were never asked about him. But I always knew that this was something about which I was the one who had to talk about, and I think this will be the first and last time I ever do, so I’m glad I talked about it. So you know, I want to tell the Eighters. “You’re the 8th Kanjani∞ member.” I’m going to openly say this from now on.
Yasuda: One last thing. Do you any hopes or plans about how to take Kanjani∞ to a higher place?
Nishikido: When I went to a Red Hot Chili Peppers concert, I found myself yelling at the top of my lungs. I want for us to be able to become the motivation of things, to be able to raise your spirits. Having our 8th anniversary like this and getting to talk like this is something I’m really grateful for, but more than thinking about how things will develop, my mindset everyday is “You don’t know what’ll happen tomorrow.” See, I don’t mean it in a bad way, but I think that everything has an end, and when the time comes, I want all of us to be able to say “Let’s finish it off then!” with satisfaction. Because that’s something you can only say if you’ve put your life into something and worked real hard on it.


This was lovely...I'm more in love with Nishikido Ryo ^_^ 
Have a nice day!!


Credit to enshige

No comments: